AC Milan will hope to return to their winning ways in Group H', as they now host a Celtic side who, after only one point from their last two games, could no longer qualify for the 32nd round.
• Celtic, who were defeated 4-1 by Sparta Praha at home and away, were out of the race after only four games, while Milan's failure to beat LOSC Lille's (#39) (0-3 hrs, 1-1 a) means that they delivered the top spot to the French. side and now second only one point above Sparta'. Serie A giants can still secure the qualifying round in Matchday 5 if they beat Celtic and the Czech side lose in northern France at #39.
• Milan beat Celtic 3-1 in Glasgow on Matchday 1, the first European goals for Rade Krunić and Brahim Díaz came one-third ahead of newly signed Norwegian striker Jens Petter Hauge, and Mohamed Elyounoussi''s home jersey was in vain.
• Clubs are familiar enemies who have faced each other ten times before this campaign, all in the European Cup / UEFA Champions League. In these matches Milan recorded 1 win over Celtic', four wins at home and six wins in a draw, reaching the finals in the first three seasons the clubs met – 1968/69 (winners), 2004/05 (runners)-up) and 2006/07 (winners) .
• Milan's overall European record against Scottish clubs was W11 D3 L3. At home, they have scored 17 goals and are a dominant W7 D1 conceding just two goals, despite having not hosted any Scottish visitors apart from Celtic since 1971'
• This is Celtic''s 29th UEFA fixture against an Italian club, their record stands at W7 D8 L13'. Internazionale, the conquerors of the city of Milan, in their first encounter with Serie A opposition in the 1967 European Cup final (2-1), Celtic went without a win in Italy for 12 games in #39 (D3 L9) until they broke their duck in UEFA#39 last season. Europa League group stage beat Lazio 2-1/#39 in Rome with Olivier Ntcham's additional time strike.
• Finishing the last period of Serie A' in sixth place enabled Milan''s return to Europe after a season's absence. Stefano Pioli's team beat Shamrock Rovers' (2-0 a) and escaped Norwegian league leaders Bodø / Glimt' (3-2 hours) in the first two qualifiers and transferred Rio Ave ' to take an important place in UEFA Europa League group stage 9- 8 marathon penalty shootout after 2-2 draw in Portugal.
• This is the third time the seven-time European champion in the UEFA Europa League group stage has played in the last four seasons. They reached the top of their group in 2017/18' before moving on to 16', where they were convincingly defeated by Arsenal(0-2h, 1-3 a), but only finished third in their division in 2018/19', eliminated Olympiacos and Real Betis by. For the first time since the second group stage of the 2000/01 UEFA Champions League, Rossoneri failed to qualify for a UEFA tournament, ending a streak of 14 consecutive successes.
• Milan's home home record in UEFA Europa League, including qualifiers, is W9 D1 L3. In the group stage, W5 D1 L2, all five wins come in Games 2 and 5, and two losses come in Game 3, including this season's 0-3 LOSC loss.
• Celtic were declared Scottish champions for the ninth consecutive year and 51 overall, despite the Premiership' being canceled in March. A 16-game European campaign, which started in the first qualifying round of the UEFA Champions League, ended in the 32nd round of the UEFA Europa League', and was eliminated by Copenhagen (1-1 a, 1 -3 h) after their group peaked for the first time.
• This term Celtic failed to negotiate the UEFA Champions League qualifying stage for the third consecutive summer, losing 1-2 at home to Ferencváros' in the second qualifying round, but a 1-0 away win at Riga' and Sarejevo got them into the UEFA Europa League' group stage. This is the tenth consecutive season in which the club has competed in a UEFA group stage and the seventh fall series in the UEFA Europa League, three of their previous six appearances have gone on to round 32 – but no more.
• Celtic''s win at Lazio' on Matchday 4 of last season was their second victory from group stage to final in UEFA Europa League' outside Glasgow. After a 2-2 draw at Lille' this season and a defeat at Prague', the all-time away record in the competition stands at W2 D11 L11'.
Links and trivia
• Diego Laxalt joined Celtic on loan from Milan in September. The Uruguayan international player also played for Bologna, Empoli, Genoa and Turin in Serie A'.
• Ntcham played for Genoa in Italy between 2015-2017 and scored three goals in 37 Serie A games.
• Bhoys manager Neil Lennon played for Celtic against Milan' in all four of the 2004/05 and 2006/07 games.
• Milan and Celtic are two of the six former European Cup winners in this season's UEFA Europa League group stage, the others being Benfica (Group D), PSV Eindhoven (E), Feyenoord (K) and Crvena zvezda (L).